Sunday, July 18, 2010

Waka Waka vs. Wavin' Flag

Here we are, just after Football World Cup in Africa. What's left apart from sport emotions? Well, the songs. Last time I remember a song made specially for sport event to really catch the attention of worldwide audience was 1998 and Ricky Martin's The Cup of Life - maybe better known under the title Go go go (alle alle alle).



There was another song from that period that also made it popular and is well known to this day - I know this famous melody so well, but didn't know it came from France '98! Mesdames et Mesieurs, le Carnival de Paris!



Can you recall it? =)

And now, 2010. Waka Waka by Shakira is the official FIFA theme and K'naan's Wavin' Flag is the theme adapted by Coca-cola World Cup Campaign. I find Waka Waka very good and catchy for the occasion, but it is Wavin' Flag which really got me. This is Waka Waka then:



And now K'naan.



The latter being the winner of my World Cup Song contest. The original, album version (released on Troubadour in 2009) is much more meaningful than this, special edited Mondiale version, check it out! K'naan's the king then. Up until Euro 2002 in Poland and Ukraine, that is!

And for you? Shakira or K'naan? Can you recall other popular songs from sporting events?

2 comments:

  1. "Forca"! That was the best fooball-connected song so far! And Nelly is really sexy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZL-pYLxnLw

    And instead of "Waving Flag" I recommend the song about Poles in UK - "Waving Flags"! :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2n-7K0Ef6Y&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeap, I know about British Sea Power, just returned to them a few days ago thanks to K'naan actually :)

    Maybe I am not really keen on Latin rhythms hence Nelly doesn't convince me. I know you like Spanish though ;)

    ReplyDelete