Thursday, February 25, 2010

Art of borrowing

I can't resist it - I listen to music not only to have fun or create the mood. I listen to it and think about influences, about the way the songwriter thinks while writing a melody. I think about the arrangement, about progression (or regression) in music. I have in mind all the creative "gods" of the past while listening to today's music. I want to present here things that I've noticed listening to music, which came virtually unnoticed by the majority of listeners (yeah, I sound bullshit, but think I'm right). Every such a "discovery" is a great fun for me.

How does it work? I hear a song or a composition and just think "I've heard this hook/line/melody/harmony before!". And then I sometimes know where did I hear it first and sometimes not. Today I want to show you the song for which it took me 2 years to come to a conclusion.

Year 1995. Oasis and britpop movement overtook the world. Everyone who experienced it (I was 7 at the time so it's the sound of my childhood :) knows what I'm talking about. Pop music was SOMETHING back then, not like now, when the valuable music (call it pop, rock, whatever) is called alternative :( But this is a topic for another post.

The opening song from Oasis' second LP "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?". "Hello". Everybody knows that the bit in the chorus ("Hello, hello, I'm back again") is a sample from a Gary Glitter song and Oasis song is actually credited to "Noel Gallagher, Gary Glitter, Mike Leander". But the bit in the pre-chorus bridge was always mysterious to me - to be exact the guitar descent (just 3 notes backed by the chords) with the words "And it's never gonna be the same" sounded so outstanding and well-known. Just a short bit it is, but anyway I told you that I'm a freak =)

No more words, just examples:

Oasis - Hello - spot 1:04

Then there's the song from which it came. Glam rock classic rock band Slade and their hit:

Slade - Cum On Feel The Noise - the main riff at the start and during chorus

Oh and by the way - Oasis covered this song :)

But then there's another song, surprisingly by Slade, which used the same motiff, that is this one:

Slade - Far Far Away - spot 0:44 (chorus)

And this last one is probably the song of which I thought when I first listened to "Hello" by Oasis back then in spring 2008 :) Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment